CNY Spring Cleaning Last Minute Checklist
The Chinese Lunar New Year is just around the corner. For centuries, the Chinese culture highly values spring cleaning their homes to usher the new year with good fortune and good health.
Many adults and especially children are allergic to house cleaning because of the dust and it causes sneezing. So, we have come up with an article to guide you through keeping yourself safe and also managing your spring cleaning with several useful tips.
Since the Chinese Lunar Year falls in spring, you would expect a lot of home visits to meet and greet family members and relatives. As such, it has been a tradition to carry out deep cleaning for the house to welcome good luck and good health.
Children with eczema or asthma are easily prone to sickness if their homes have allergens, such as airborne pollen, spores, dust mites, or mould around. However, spring cleaning a home can be tricky if one does it last minute or in a rush.
Before you deep dive into the cleaning routine, make sure you protect yourself against the allergens:
- Rubber gloves for your hands to protect them from irritants in the cleaning liquids.
- Wear a mask to avoid dust mite allergies.
- Good microfiber cloth and keep them separate for different use.
- Use hot water.
- Have antihistamine medication if you are allergic, this will help you relieve your itchy watery eyes or runny nose allergic symptoms.
- If you like music, play your favorite playlist as this causes your happy hormones dopamine AKA “ Feel Good Hormones” to reward your brain with less stress.
- Arrange a play date with your friends or ask your family members to help keep your little ones engaged in their houses or take them out.
Useful guidelines to spring clean your home with a checklist:
- Start with one-room approach plan whereby you focus on one task at a time. This reduce your stress.
- Open the windows and let fresh air circulating in the house and this reduces moisture.
- Dust baseboards, ceiling corners, light fixtures, lamps, ceiling fans, mirrors, shelving, and other decors with a damp microfibre cloth as this traps dust in between them so that there will be no dust flying around.
- Wipe the doors, windows with warm water and vinegar. Spot cleaning walls will keep your walls clean and save you from having to repaint walls.
- Wash your drapes and curtains based on fabric types and washing machine settings. If it is cotton, be generous and go ahead with a hot water setting and give it a nice wash and air dry it thereafter.
- For those who have contact dermatitis, avoid harsh chemical cleaners and go for alternative natural products, like the seventh generation all purpose cleaners, or Ecos clear laundry detergent.
- Vacuum furniture, lampshades, all flooring, photo frames, and any other household items. For those with mild to severe allergies, using bag-free vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters or steam vacuum cleaners is a wonderful investment.
- Remove rugs or carpets and deep clean the floors underneath. Then, wait for the floors to dry and put them back in the space after you have cleaned them.
- Paper traps more dust and make sure you get rid of them without hoarding them.
- If you have time, remove aircon filters and run them through hot water, dry them and fix it back on the aircon unit.
- Also use the tub wash settings on your washing machine to clean the drum as this helps to clean the machine and remove the gunk that builds over time. Leave your washing machine door open for air drying.
- Clean with warm water and lemon peel to remove the dirt and stink from your refrigerator.
With Singapore’s humid weather all year round, mould is a significant reason behind various health issues. If the air is damp, your closet can smell awful and the walls are black, or there are white or green patches on your clothes, chances are mould might be present.
Mould and other allergens, such as dust mites, pet dander, and pollens that are available inside the house can trigger allergic symptoms in your child or an adult with a weaker immune system. A person who has asthma or rhinitis has a higher chance of developing eczema. The most common type is atopic dermatitis or atopic eczema.
Rhinitis and allergy symptoms:
Rhinitis, also known as coryza, is irritation and inflammation of the mucous membrane inside the nose. Common symptoms are a stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, and post-nasal drip. The inflammation is caused by viruses, bacteria, irritants, or allergens.
To treat rhinitis and other allergy-like symptoms, an over-the-counter antihistamine can be used. Clarityn is a non-drowsy 24-hour allergy relief tablet that provides fast relief in 30 minutes for the common cold and other allergy symptoms by blocking histamines or stopping allergy symptoms. It is suitable for children aged 12 years and above and it does not contain preservatives.
What are histamines?
When allergens or irritant enters the nasal cavity, it causes hypersensitivity similar to itchiness to rub eyes and nose. This makes the body release antibodies called histamines.
When the histamines are released, they cause allergic symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, nasal blockage, itchy nose and throat, watery eyes.
What are antihistamines?
Antihistamines are over-the-counter medicine available online and at retail pharmacies and they are often taken to relieve allergic symptoms.
Further support and help
Here is another useful piece of information for parents with children having eczema and rhinitis conditions. You can share your stories with other parents to create a good parent support group. Kidsgainhealth has launched a private Facebook community Singapore Mothers Support Group, where you can meet other mothers and share your experiences.
There you have it! Now, you can have peace of mind doing your spring cleaning while looking after your child’s eczema and rhinitis issues during this busy, festive season.
Happy Ox-picious Chinese New Year!
Need to learn more about managing your child’s allergy and eczema flare-ups? Check out kidsgainhealth.com and visit our Library resources of information. We also offer membership services for mothers purchasing products worth $58 and above, they are eligible for a one-month complimentary telemedicine consultation service.
At Kidsgainhealth, we would like to support you in managing your family’s healthcare needs. You no longer need to step out of your house because our doctors are available for medical consultations 24/7 and prescriptions will be delivered to your doorsteps.